Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 05:20:44 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Please post general conversations, videos, music, and similar stuff in the "Tips, Tricks and General MCI conversations" section, use the Misc section for any product not listed in the categories, parts or custom projects. Thanks!

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  Misc. Rare Hard to Find models, custom projects, racked channels, smpte sync
| |-+  Miscellaneous
| | |-+  MCI 636 racking info
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MCI 636 racking info  (Read 4919 times)
tasters
MCI Member

« on: May 24, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »

hi guys, first post here
i got 2 MCI JH-636 I/P Microphone Preamp EQ Modules

you can see the modules here

anyone have some info in how to rack and use preamp and eq to make a stereo rack pair for my daw?
anyone can advice me for someone in europe who can rack a pair of these?

thanks again

Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

Youll need some power supplies for it with the same voltages of the MCI PSUs, i believe they are +/- 18v and +/- 32V, maybe the 18v supply wont be needed but someone can tell you better, you there Brian?, and also 48v phantom power if you want to use condensers. Im not sure if the module is less or equal to 19 inches, so if you want to fit it in a rack, youll have to cut it, and reconnect some stuff to bypass the cutted part, a big mess...

If you dont care about having it in a 19" rack, then just connect the PSUs, the mic/line in/out and you are ready to go, a simple pinout or the schematics of the 600 can tell you were to connect this.

Try contacting roginator, a user in this forum, he lives in Croatia and may tell you where you can have them racked in Europe...

Have fun!!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:40:51 AM by Dualflip » Logged

I love MCI!
tasters
MCI Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »

Dualflip thanks a lot for the infos.

A stupid question

about the psu, the only solution is to build a brand new by DIY or is possible to buy some premade PSU for wiring it by myself?

thanks again!
analogtodd
MCI Freak!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »

600 series is NOT +/- 32v

Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

Exactly why i needed someone like you Todd with 600 experience to chime in, what are they 36?

I love MCI!
andreas
MCI Member

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

You need +/-18v and 48V. If you want some lights you also need 5V, but thats not really important. I racked a few of these channels mysel by using a power one PSU that delivers the +/-18V. The 48V are only for Phantom Power, so if you use dynamic mics only, you dont need 48V. The "interesting" part is to connect the right connectors so that you kind of "bridge" the patchbay connection. You need a schematic for that. So you can connect the Mic In, then the Mic Out to EQ in, the EQ out to the small Output Pot and then Line Out.
tasters
MCI Member

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »

thanks again

about the racking of 600 modules.

my idea is to use a stereo couple as main out for my daw, for the use of the pre and eq, so, seems a basic question but, you think the work of racking a pair of this modules worth the sound wich can i obtain?

Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »

For the PSU, i recommend these kits http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/PSU-2448mk2-Kit.html they are awesome they can be trimmed from +/-1.5v up to +/-24V and have 48v phantom, the quality of the PCB is amazing, probably the best ive seen.

As for the usage, i would say that MCI is not known for being the cleanest and noise-free console, the 600 series is somehow considered by some ppl as the ugly brother of all the MCI console series. Instead of using it on the master buss, i would use it as a channel eq/preamp. All the preamps in the MCI consoles are not fully discrete meaning they use an IC (integrated circuit) as a gain amplifier, generally the NE5534 which is sometimes labeled as 2003 in other console series.

However these give the MCIs a very distinct sound that some ppl love (like we) and some ppl hate, as for the EQ's in the 600s i would say that i havent tried them that much but i find them to be a lot more sterile sounding than the ones in the 500 series. To me the 500 series is the all around MCI winner, the 400 being second and the 600 being last.  The good thing about 600s is that it uses DIP-8 sockets, so you can upgrade the opamps more easily, there are a lot of ppl that can help you upgrade your opamps if you are looking for a more pristine, clean and transparent sound.

If i were you, i would buy a PSU and just wire the module, and try it. This shouldn take much time if you have schematics and a soldering gun at hand (you can find the schematics in this forum, the very first thread), i wouldnt advise you to go into the trouble of cutting them to make them fit a 19" rack enclosure if you are unsure about them.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:44:32 PM by Dualflip » Logged

I love MCI!
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »

Racking....I always assume stuffing modules "sideways" into a 19" space, like these examples:

http://www.brianroth.com/custom/custom.html

In every case, the module was well-under 19" in length.  Or, are we discussing a "side car"?

Best,

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »

Well i was more like suggesting the sidecar approach..

I love MCI!
alchematic
MCI Member

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:24:20 AM »

You should go to digikey.com and get Power One Linear supplies. +/- 24 volt 1.2 amp for $85 part # 179-2319-ND and 48 v 1/2 amp $54 179-2315-ND. Why waste time trying to build one?. I would solder wires directly to the edge connector fingers and solder jumpers where the patch bay insert loops are. You could skip the 5 v supply if you don't care about LEDs or get a power on unit 179-2301-ND 5v 1.5a $44. If you need specific help on the pins to jump email em at mark@lakelandaccess.com
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »

Gentlemen,

A few thoughts regarding power for 600 I/O modules.  While Power-One units are excellent, the fivefish kit mentioned earlier in this thread is half the price and more than adequate for a handful of modules in a small sidecar.   But, it the sidecar grows past "x" number of modules (I can't say off-hand where that threshold is), then going with multiple Power-One (or similar) open-frame linear modules is the correct answer.

While the fivefish kit requires the assembly of the circuit board, it also will be easier to package in a much smaller enclosure compared to Power-Ones.  I would tend to think the labor cost to stuff the fivefish card vs. the extra mechanical work, larger/heaver chassis, extra AC mains fusing/wiring, etc for Power-Ones would be a wash.

Don't misread me.  I have built a variety of custom supplies using open-frame linear modules and really like them.  I'm just saying they might be overkill for just a few 600 modules.

Now for the required rails.  I had to refresh my memory with the manual, and as best as I can tell, +5V is only required for the logic which "flips" between line in/bus out for the monitor circuit path, which is the slidewire.  I am trying to think through the possible signal paths which might be required for a sidecar, and am not totally convinced eliminating the 5V rail will provide all the flexibility required for a sidecar application.

The LEDs are driven via a 24V rail, and it might be nice to have "EQ IN" and "POLARITY REVERSE" (and Huh) LEDS to illuminate.

Best,

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length