Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2019, 05:57:50 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: In order for you to be able to post a new thread in the "For Sale" board, you need at least 10 posts in the rest of the forum, however you'll be able to reply to any topic in the forum even if you dont have the 10 post count. Any posts in the "For Sale" board will not appear in your total post counter.

Any ads, should be posted in the "For Sale" or "Looking to Buy" forums ONLY, and they should be MCI or MCI-related. Please do not advertise your item on someone else's thread (hijack).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Dualflip

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  MCI Consoles
| |-+  JH-600 Series Consoles (Moderator: Westrek)
| | |-+  About to refurb a knackered old 600 and will need your help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: About to refurb a knackered old 600 and will need your help!  (Read 1508 times)
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« on: December 21, 2017, 03:33:37 AM »

Hey guys, firstly thanks in advance for your help, this forum has helped me keep my studio alive over the years so I'm incredibly grateful that it exists! We love our 600 so much that we decided to get another to open a B room. Luckily through our studio tech we discovered this beautiful old 600 (for almost no money) that's been in storage for a long time! We're slowly making our way through cleaning it and taking stock of parts but it looks like it's all there apart from a few simple / replaceable things. However, I think the automation computer is missing and they've replaced it with some strange outboard rack system. I'll upload some pics of the automation system when I can and I'll add updates as we go but I'm guessing I'll need some advice as I hit problems on the way. Thanks folks!
Rob
MCI Member

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »

I look forward to the updates.   WHere are you based ?
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »

Thanks! Based in Leeds in England.
LDS
MCI Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »

I am looking forward to this thread too!

I do have a spare set of automation cards for an MCI JH-636. Drop me a PM if you would like to discuss. I am located in Sydney, Australia though... which makes it a little tricky!
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:28:20 AM »

Hey thanks so much! If I run into trouble with the automation I might give you a shout. The system they have installed is called an "Optifile Tetra" which I'm yet to research properly but it sounds promising!
Rob
MCI Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »

Opti file is a system that I have seen on a few desks.  A Raindirk Symphony was one of them.   The reality is if you are recording to Pro Tools or some other DAW then it is a lot less grief doing fader automation in the software
 than using Opti File.  The person that owned the Raindirk never used it ever in all the time they owned the console.
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »

Yes I understand that, I still want to be optimistic though and hope that it does work to some useable extent
Berwyn636
MCI Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:22 AM »

Good luck!
Exciting news. 600s live!

MCI brown is the new black.
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »

Put it all together today and replaced all missing buttons / coloured lids
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »

Recovered the arm rest...
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:32 AM »

And cleaned all the faders...
TonesOnTail
MCI Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »

Very cool. I have never seen a Seahawk Grey 600 before. It looks to be a really early one and has the 0136 style modules.

Keeping them Jeep's running!

'75 MCI JH16-24 w/ JH114 xport ----- '84 Sony/MCI JH110C-HP 1/4" 2trk ----- '82 MCI JH636-VU-AF
Rob
MCI Member

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »

Could you take a close up pic of the pcb on the faders please ?    The pack looks remarkably similar to what I have on my 428B which I have never been able to get documentation for.  The normal 600 fader packs look different & the pcb/circuit is also different from memory.     Next question do you have the docs to go with the fader packs  ?
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »

Very cool. I have never seen a Seahawk Grey 600 before. It looks to be a really early one and has the 0136 style modules.

Keeping them Jeep's running!

Ooohhhh that's exciting! We have another 600 at our place but there's something about the way this one looks and feels... I don't want to speak to soon but I am very excited!
greendredmusic
MCI Member

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »

Could you take a close up pic of the pcb on the faders please ?    The pack looks remarkably similar to what I have on my 428B which I have never been able to get documentation for.  The normal 600 fader packs look different & the pcb/circuit is also different from memory.     Next question do you have the docs to go with the fader packs  ?

Hey Rob of course I can I'm back in on Monday, unfortunately I don't have the manual for this particular console but I do have one for our other 600 if that's any help?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length