Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2018, 03:25:08 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: In order for you to be able to post a new thread in the "For Sale" board, you need at least 10 posts in the rest of the forum, however you'll be able to reply to any topic in the forum even if you dont have the 10 post count. Any posts in the "For Sale" board will not appear in your total post counter.

Any ads, should be posted in the "For Sale" or "Looking to Buy" forums ONLY, and they should be MCI or MCI-related. Please do not advertise your item on someone else's thread (hijack).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Dualflip

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  MCI Consoles
| |-+  JH-600 Series Consoles (Moderator: Westrek)
| | |-+  edge connectors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: edge connectors  (Read 258 times)
Berwyn636
MCI Member

« on: August 21, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »

Anyone ever have issues with the 40pin motherboard connectors?

MCI brown is the new black.
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:11 PM »

What sort of issues?  I do recall one 636 desk which apparently had suffered some sort of "frame warp" and channel modules 1-9 (IIRC) had intermittent connection problems.  There was nothing obviously visible in the metal framing.

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
Berwyn636
MCI Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:07:31 AM »

just when you push down on some channels they go in and out so I go through and wiggle an push on the strips til they seem like they're staying live then bolt em down but i still get intermittent dropouts depending on vibrations and what not.

brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »

Are the intermittent channels randomly located across the desk, or are they in the vicinity of each other?

Bri

Berwyn636
MCI Member

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

they appear random then sometimes they are next to one another

brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »

With the desk I remember with intermittent channels (they were all in low numbered positions), I removed a bunch of the higher numbered modules so I could get a strong light and my head down into the frame to observe what was going on. 

The visual inspection revealed that the mother board connectors were not mating well with the channel strips.  It took some shimming to move the motherboard into a good position for reliable mating with the modules.

Bri

Rob
MCI Member

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »

There is a story of a 500 series that had its frame bent while moving it round a corner before installing.   This meant that the middle channels did not engage with the motherboard connections.    I believe the remedy was jacking it up in the middle with a  bottle jack to gently bend the frame up so connecton was made for these channels ...........
Westrek
MCI Freak!

HI/LO Discreet Op Amp

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »

Check the soldering on the male molex pins on the motherboard underneath the problem channel(s) that lead to the patch bay. EQ patch I think it's marked. That will break the signal flow.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length