Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 11:32:30 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: Please post general conversations, videos, music, and similar stuff in the "Tips, Tricks and General MCI conversations" section, use the Misc section for any product not listed in the categories, parts or custom projects. Thanks!

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  MCI Consoles
| |-+  JH-500 Series Consoles (Moderator: Roginator)
| | |-+  Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!  (Read 55202 times)
Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« on: June 13, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »

Hey ppl why not starting by introducing yourselves, i own 2 mci jh-528 C rev consoles here in Mexico City, im refubishing both which are my passion and never-ending activity every weekend. What about you ?

Thanks to Vance and Larry for this forum!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:13:43 PM by Roginator » Logged

I love MCI!
Roginator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

HI MCI PPL

my name is Damir Kristijan Rogina
I own JH 534D

Im located in Zagreb Croatia. and know few things about MCI 500 serie desks!!!!

Proud owner od 532D!! in legendary Criteria STUDIO B frame serial 039!!!! one of few fully transformers loaded MCI D series!
andreas
MCI Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:42:04 AM »

Hello
Mi name is Andreas Hunziker, i'm the proud owner of an MCI JH556C/D which i am refurbing at the monent. The console is on its back, all the motherboards need resoldering because that is a main problem for intermittend signals. I'm also changing all capacitors ind the whole console, so it is kind of a big project! I'm happy that there is a forum like this, so people can trade informations about these consoles! I also have 2 MCI JH636 but only one frame. I'm planning making standalone Preamps out of some modules.
regards   andreas
david
MCI Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »

Hi Folks, this is Detlef, located in Germany. Ive started soundengineering on the MCI 500 in 1980 at Dierks Studios ( Scorpions, Accept etc.) -and when I worked for Conny Plank ( Eurythmics, Ultravox, Kraftwerk etc.) starting in 1985 I again worked on it until he sold his 500 one year later. Inbetween I did a lot work on the 600, Neve, SSL and others - but working on those is not comparable - I always loved the 500 especially because of the lovely, musical filters.
Finally I bought my own one in 2007 from Soundbrookers  in  the US - offered in a good condition - and received a wrack. I had the luck to still be in touch with the two technicians who worked in the studios in the 80th and helped me to get the baby back to work. Man - we had faults in the desk you wouldnt believe, today Im happy that it works perfect, our companys technician Andrei , he s also tapping around in the forum, now has his hands on the 500 and does a wonderful job even if he was not used to inline-concepts and mixers at all, but he brang the computer back to life and found some nice workarounds for parts that are not available anymore.
So, still - after 29 years - when I first got in touch with this desk - I love it for many reasons - and all Pros around the world whove ever been in touch with an 500 know what it means to have a 32 volt headroom on the Audiorail and know about the exellence of the filters.
Everybody here can be proud to own one, it is one of the best Mixing desks that was build until today - but you have to love rock n roll  Grin
enjoy mixing  - and keep your 500 alive, its worth it !
Detlef
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:15 AM »

I'm just a techie dweeb <g> in Oklahoma, USA who began his mixing (and fixing!) career with various MCI desks in the early 1970's.

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
Harrison
MCI Master
MCI Member

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

I can't help feeling that we're going to be the same people as we are on the other forum!!
Like all forums, that other one has lost its way a bit, I think.

I'm Peter Clark, I worked for MCI in London and Europe, late 70s, early 80s, especially eastern block, freelanced in music studios on MCI stuff for the next 15 years, hot-rodded boards everywhere. Have seen pretty much every variant of 500 and know the whys and wherefores. The only one I'd never seen until recently was the original 24-buss 500s (one of the 3 production prototypes) that went to Atlantic Records in New York.
Now work and travel for a.n.other Nashville based console manufacturer.
I commissioned a 528 into Mosfilm (Moscow) in early 80's. Did a big 384 channel plus PTools control digital film console there last year.
Asked about the 500, they'd junked it!! literally 1-2 months before I got there.

There were twice as many Harrison 32 series consoles made as there were JH500s, but outside of discussions about Bruce Swedien and the console at Westlake Audio, and the one guy in Germany renovating a 32B series, it's the MCI 500 that has the reputation.
In the end, I suppose it's the headroom; quite simply, no other console had headroom like it. No, they are not the quietest around, but the EQ was pretty good.
As I mentioned elsewhere, some people think the early As sound better than the later ones, despite the later ones being quieter. Producer who used Redbus #097 which was a C to all intents and purposes, goes and uses CBS' early A #015 (017?) and said it sounded better!!. All my hard work out the window then!
PC
analogtodd
MCI Freak!

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »

I agree,
Is this a migration?  It's all the same players, same information, different venue!  Smiley

I'm Todd

I've got 3 MCI 500 consoles, tons of other bits a pieces.  A couple 110's, a Studer A80... blah blah blah

Currently in the middle of a much needed recap of a 528c   

Harrison
MCI Master
MCI Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »

Your mail comes with a picture of one of MCI masterpieces.................the phase meter!! Did you take this picture just before binning it. I was doing 500C into Moscow TV where they asked what the phase meter was doing, ie waving about madly, and how could I fix it. I removed the card. There, fixed!

Perhaps somebody else could enlighten us all as to what it did when not metering a mono tone. What's that Neil Young song, "Piece of Crap"
PC
analogtodd
MCI Freak!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »

LOL
I don't think MCI ever really had a concept of what "phase" is.  Its just a meter with a needle... and the damage done.

Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:16 PM »

I can't help feeling that we're going to be the same people as we are on the other forum!!
Like all forums, that other one has lost its way a bit, I think.

You are probably right, only difference thou, is that this is like the "official" webpage if you want to call it that way so it may attract more mci enthusiasts, i think also that its better organized and exclusively dedicated to MCI. But we are not trying to make a migration just to add a bit more to the knowledge database, i also encourage ppl to go inside forum.analogconsole.com great info there!

I love MCI!
BigSkyAudio
MCI Member

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

Hi All,
I am in Melbourne, Australia, and am pleased to have found this forum.
I have a 538b, serial#087, which has the manufacture date on the rego plate as 23rd of Jan 1978.
She was purchased "refurbished" is in excellent condition and is currently stored in my garage waiting for her new home to be completed so I have not had the pleasure of using or passing any signal through her yet.
She apparently arrived here via Sth Africa and has some old stickers and such inside with "Memphis Sound" on them.
I would love to know more about her.
I will put some pics up soon,
Cheers, Neil.

"Music is Life"
mcijh
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »

Well, I read most of the above, but not everything...yet.  I was across the street from MCI until they moved to the STP building when Sony bought them.  I've been shooting pool and drinkin' beers w/ them since about 1980.  Ruel Ely offered me a job under George Kuchmas (Sp) in '82.  I was sent into the service jail in about '84 because the girls didn't like the way I made them hold a tweeker in one hand, and a probe in the other.  They accused me of sexual harrassment, and Sony's new group of "Clamp down on the free will of the personal" took over and placed me w/ the other derelicts; like John Bartz, Cary Altschuler, and Henry Jablonski.   I've been independent ever since '90....except for butting heads w/ R. Levin @ WPS for 18 mo.'s, and am currently butting heads w/ R. Blevins in NashVegas.

SS
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:10 AM »

Steve, somehow I now regret the fact that I "shoulda/coulda" been in Ft. Lauderdale back in the Good Old Days.  (At one point, I was offered a gig there, but turned it down... Okies are difficult to dislodge from the "red dirt"  ...lol.  Soon after that job offer, Jeep sold the company to Sony, so I would have been "stranded" in Florida as Sony killed MCI.)

Back In Ye Olde Days, I had excellent relations with MCI dealers Milam Audio (Illinois) and Studio Supply (Dallas).  Those guys sold, and I kept the MCI machines operational  in my area...hehe.

I still believe that MCI gear was the best compromise between "crap" Tascam/whatever, and expensive Studers.  Ampex runs a "close second". 

Again Steve, welcome aboard!

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
dbbubba
MCI Freak!

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

Well.... better late than never, right?

Hey, guys!
It looks Like I almost know everyone on this forum!

Brian, Steve, Damir, Jose, Tye.....

For you that don't know me...
My name is Danny Brown and I live just outside Dallas in Rockwall, Texas.
I have a 538C that I am slowly restoring.
I am following Damir's (Riginator) advice and doing a FULL re-cap.
I have re-capped the master channels as well as the first ten channels completely.
I have done all of the main audio path caps out to CH#24.

I am staying with mostly stock values which is against Roginator's recommendations, but following other people's advice.
I did find that many caps were already double the values on the schematic.
I am staying with what was on the actual board.
It is mostly 200 uf instead of the 100 uf coupling caps.

The good news is that I am makin' money with the damn thing!
I am mixing a country and western CD project as I type.
It sounds great being mixed off of Digital Performer and through the 538!
I am happy.

My console is JH-538C serial #0113.
It's date code is 10/25/78

JH-538C, JH-24 and a bunch of Ampex, too
analogtodd
MCI Freak!

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »

Well.... better late than never, right?

Hey, guys!
It looks Like I almost know everyone on this forum!

Brian, Steve, Damir, Jose, Tye.....

For you that don't know me...
My name is Danny Brown and I live just outside Dallas in Rockwall, Texas.
I have a 538C that I am slowly restoring.
I am following Damir's (Riginator) advice and doing a FULL re-cap.
I have re-capped the master channels as well as the first ten channels completely.
I have done all of the main audio path caps out to CH#24.

I am staying with mostly stock values which is against Roginator's recommendations, but following other people's advice.
I did find that many caps were already double the values on the schematic.
I am staying with what was on the actual board.
It is mostly 200 uf instead of the 100 uf coupling caps.

The good news is that I am makin' money with the damn thing!
I am mixing a country and western CD project as I type.
It sounds great being mixed off of Digital Performer and through the 538!
I am happy.

My console is JH-538C serial #0113.
It's date code is 10/25/78

So... am I ever going to get my extender card back Danny?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length