Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 07:10:45 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: In order for you to be able to post a new thread in the "For Sale" board, you need at least 10 posts in the rest of the forum, however you'll be able to reply to any topic in the forum even if you dont have the 10 post count. Any posts in the "For Sale" board will not appear in your total post counter.

Any ads, should be posted in the "For Sale" or "Looking to Buy" forums ONLY, and they should be MCI or MCI-related. Please do not advertise your item on someone else's thread (hijack).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Dualflip

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  MCI Consoles
| |-+  JH-500 Series Consoles (Moderator: Roginator)
| | |-+  Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!  (Read 58611 times)
Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:04:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum Danny, now log on skype and chat with me! hahaha

I love MCI!
dbbubba
MCI Freak!

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 01:13:24 PM »

Todd....

I was just talking to Brian Roth about your extender card last night.

I sent your card quite a while back and it returned to my house.
My daughter came home from school, saw it on the front porch and put it in our dining.
I didn't see it until Wednesday of this week.

It appears to be in OK shape, but the box was looking pretty beat-up.
I packed it with lot's of protection, so it wouldn't get damaged.
The extender card itself looks to be 100%.
I got a new box for it yesterday.

It looks like the people at the postal place I always use put the wrong address on it.
I fill out a form with the shipping info, pay them and off I go.
They have never messed anything up before, but I usually put the address on boxes myself.
It did have my return address written in Sharpie on it (Thank God!)

I am taking it up to another shipping place in a few minutes.

Sorry for the hassle...

Danny Brown
(214) 263-6969

JH-538C, JH-24 and a bunch of Ampex, too
dbbubba
MCI Freak!

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

Since I have not heard anything.... I am assuming that the extender board made it there intact?

JH-538C, JH-24 and a bunch of Ampex, too
Roginator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

Grin

Well.... better late than never, right?

Hey, guys!
It looks Like I almost know everyone on this forum!

Brian, Steve, Damir, Jose, Tye.....

For you that don't know me...
My name is Danny Brown and I live just outside Dallas in Rockwall, Texas.
I have a 538C that I am slowly restoring.
I am following Damir's (Riginator) advice and doing a FULL re-cap.
I have re-capped the master channels as well as the first ten channels completely.
I have done all of the main audio path caps out to CH#24.

I am staying with mostly stock values which is against Roginator's recommendations, but following other people's advice.
I did find that many caps were already double the values on the schematic.
I am staying with what was on the actual board.
It is mostly 200 uf instead of the 100 uf coupling caps.

The good news is that I am makin' money with the damn thing!
I am mixing a country and western CD project as I type.
It sounds great being mixed off of Digital Performer and through the 538!
I am happy.

My console is JH-538C serial #0113.
It's date code is 10/25/78

So... am I ever going to get my extender card back Danny?

Proud owner od 532D!! in legendary Criteria STUDIO B frame serial 039!!!! one of few fully transformers loaded MCI D series!
mell
MCI Member

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »

HI

my name is melvin i'm from the east of The Netherlands and i own a 536C fully trafo loaded  (#110  9-25-1978), we (my father and i) picked up this console from a studio in germany wich also housed a 556D and was as far i was told one of the actual consoles the beegees worked on (the 556D) the owner died some time ago and the bank wanted the building empty ,can you believe it!! they just cut it up in pieces and it went away for scrapmetal!!)

although mine had been stored (ex NDR console ) in parts for a long time (about 20 years ) time obviously had played its part and we are restoring it to original condition starting with a full recap with 2800 original NOS Siemens caps wich i tracked down after a long search in the USA for a steel realy, i have already resoldered 90% of the console and did a complete LED replacement!, that looks so nice compared to what it was,.  i even made the big solo light "bright bleu"now i can never miss it!! repaired most of the things like the meters thanks to a few of ROGINATORS MCI "SURVIVAL KITS" that he sold me hahaha

i am pretty spoiled having learned how to mix on a vintage CADAC at a very early age in my fathers studio (he's one of those old school engineers , they seem to know everything Tongue) at the time but i never dreamed that this console sounds so good as it does i dont think i ever want a different console tbh, i will restore it to original condition first before i fiddle around with opamps , buss mods , grouding mods etc etc , .i already recapped 10 channels and fixed all channels that had small errors .to me this sound is EXACTLY what is missing in the modern industrie atm, a warm ,punchy & mellow musical sound . a sound that makes you turn your radio UP, instead of DOWN (depending on the song ofcourse hehe)

i also have 2 X SONY/MCI JH-24's one is black the other is brown and also the most famous one the JH16-24 (yellowdeck) transistor machine with trafo's and the quickpunch with DBX150 type 1 noise reduction on it (-115db whooooohoooo)  and a 1/4"MCI JH-110 mastermachine wich funny enough was produced in the same week as my console!!! they may even have said HI to eachother when passing in the hallway from the "assembly" to "wiring" department haha (if it worked like that )  oh and there is also an AMPEX MM1000 16track sitting in the corner watching all of this in silence:P

correction , my 24 track and 2 track were made in the same week

its nice to see a forum like this with fellow MCI fans!!
the info and support found here is priceless

peace and merry christmass and a blurry new-year (day one)  to everyone

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:41:22 AM by mell » Logged
Roginator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 06:20:06 AM »

Mell welcome to MCI forum..nice to see you here!!!!!

Smiley

Damir

Proud owner od 532D!! in legendary Criteria STUDIO B frame serial 039!!!! one of few fully transformers loaded MCI D series!
mell
MCI Member

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »

thnx damir, nice to be here
hargerst
MCI Member

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

Well, add another JH500D user.  According to Steve at Randy's place it's the very last 556D or the next to the last 556D.  It's short-loaded as a 548, but it's in the 556 frame.  We've been running it continuously since 2001.
mell
MCI Member

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »

oooh, ..howmanny of those were actually build?,
Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »

Well, add another JH500D user.  According to Steve at Randy's place it's the very last 556D or the next to the last 556D.  It's short-loaded as a 548, but it's in the 556 frame.  We've been running it continuously since 2001.

Welcome hargerst, perhaps you could post some pics of your console, that would be awesome!

I love MCI!
chubbar
MCI Member

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »

Hi every one, just picked up 1979 528C w/VU meters and it ships to me in a few weeks.  I'm in Vermont and mid-build on my 600 sq ft. project studio (19 ft ceilings).  2 yrs away from completion which means I was a fool to buy now, but I fell in love with the board.  And now I have the centerpiece to help solidify the signal flow.  All these componetized digital setups these days, they can work of course, but I'm looking forward to having it mostly in the board, at least to begin with.   

Studio will be wired for 32 so this desk should do great.  I'm going to be using it mostly for ROCK.  I'll probably just be observing this forum for the next 2 years until I get my $h** tight, just wanted to say hi - cheers

I'm in my 30s, I'm part of the group of younger people inflating the prices on the desks!  Sorry/You're welcome depending on if you're buying or selling Smiley

Charles
mell
MCI Member

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »

grats charles!,
welcome to this circus of madness!!   Grin lots of info and tips to find on this forum regarding restoration etc, schematics
hope all works out for you   Wink
analogtodd
MCI Freak!

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »

Hey was that the 528c w/ VU's on Blevins list?

Anyone who has a 500 is a friend of mine!!!

chubbar
MCI Member

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »

hey, thanks for the welcomes!  I got it through Paul Savasta.  Blevins' 11k price tag was above my threshold so it wasn't even an option for me.  but it appears to be comparable to mine.  ...  of course it's had the "blevins touch" I'm sure!
annaloog
MCI Member

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »

maybe i have to introduce myself before i post more
i am 65 years old ,,already with pension,, hahah
i have a degree in electronic engineering and i have done same education as a tonmeister german broadcast
i did designing electronics for a american company OAK, radar missile guidance systems for F104 starfighter etc
when i was 27 i start a recording studio, flowertree studio bv i was  recording and mixing almost 30 years ,,,24/7 it was like one long day and i never looked back into my designing ..i am active in designing Šudio circuits again the last few years, already have a complete tube console on paper with mini doubletriodes (sovjet mig tubes) including an all tube masterbus
designed and build and used a live console 32 channels for the live band that i toured with for man years , yes also 3 times a wekk live haha ...i am the father of mell he is my oldest son !!!
i record more than 1500 singels and 150 albums , more then 4000 live events
and made 34 no 1 hits in holland and germany.,
i learned to know the MCI JH500 because my son picked one up in germany for next to nothing, we had a 40 ch neumann class A at that time , but wasn't inline NOR split so makes it a pain to work with , ...after a few years of refurbishment i understand the MCI very well and think it is the nicest console to update to get the best sound possible.. i will try to get ideas on forum for input and improvement, but i am 65 and a little slower so be patient hahah

greetings jan bloemsma
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:57:47 PM by annaloog » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length