Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 06:58:15 AM
Home Help Login Register
News: In order for you to be able to post a new thread in the "For Sale" board, you need at least 10 posts in the rest of the forum, however you'll be able to reply to any topic in the forum even if you dont have the 10 post count. Any posts in the "For Sale" board will not appear in your total post counter.

Any ads, should be posted in the "For Sale" or "Looking to Buy" forums ONLY, and they should be MCI or MCI-related. Please do not advertise your item on someone else's thread (hijack).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Dualflip

+  MCI Console and Tape Machine Forum
|-+  MCI Consoles
| |-+  JH-500 Series Consoles (Moderator: Roginator)
| | |-+  Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Welcome to MCI 500 forum - Introduce Yourself!!!!  (Read 53258 times)
Dualflip
Administrator
MCI Freak!

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »

What are you talking about?

I love MCI!
Chaletvs
MCI Member

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2013, 04:27:21 AM »

Hello my name is serge from switzerland. I worked for a long time in aquarius recording studios in geneva....from 1985 to 2000....first we had a 528d console with a jh 24 machine...and 2 jh 110 master recorder. Later we bought a 556 c.d. console with 2 jh 24 with jh 50 synchronisator. And a layback 1' 3tracks machine for post production. It was so great to work with this range of audio product.
andreas
MCI Member

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »

Hello Serge!
So funny, i bought the MCI 556 from Aquarius and just now i'm installing it at my new place in Goldswil near Interlaken! I'm replacing all the caps and resolder everything to make this great console sound like new! If you are near Interlaken come by and see your "old" console!
All the best   andreas
Brontosauce
MCI Member

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »

Hi There -

I'm Brontosauce, living in Antwerp and just purchased an MCI JH528 in the south of France, which seems to be in decent condition (a full recap was done in 2005) and we've got 3/4 of the channels already working, TLC will be handed out to the other ones, mainly by my technical engineer while I make coffee...

Big step up from my previous console and already amazed by the wonderful quality of the EQ, still have to find out about the preamps. Would like to restore this beauty to its former glory, will take a while and money Smiley

I still have most of this forum to browse thru in the coming weeks/months but I already have 2 questions if granted ... :

- can't find the serial number anywhere. I might have a very early model but I'd like to find out about its whereabouts. This console came from Valence and it must have been in Paris before but without a SN it's past would remain a bit shrouded in mystery. Where can I find the SR (there's no sticker on the back but the meter part isn't complete, has a back panel missing...)

- any good place to find cosmetical spare parts in Europe preferably (?) UK/USA for that matter ?

Thank you.
Westrek
MCI Freak!

HI/LO Discreet Op Amp

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »

Most of the one's I've seen, the serial number is next to the punch blocks on the left back of the console.

Mike
Cave Diver
MCI Member

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »

Hi All,

Good to meet you.

I've owned a 528b for five years. I've learnt first hand what MCI really stands for and I've loved every channel-dropping, where's the signal gone and why's that crackling now day of it. I love what it does to music and that's what matters.

I'm down to a 524 at the moment and I have other issues, but when they're not desperate I live it and then get as much as possible sorted in a bunch. I'm no tech but I've got half an idea which bits to prod to keep it going in the middle of the night.

I'm going to trawl the forum to look for hints about cleaning up my monitor outputs. It's been looked at several times but there's a L/R intermittency there that I just can't shift. Good to feel you're not alone!

kakumei47
MCI Member

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »

I'm going to trawl the forum to look for hints about cleaning up my monitor outputs. It's been looked at several times but there's a L/R intermittency there that I just can't shift. Good to feel you're not alone!

Might be worth checking the relays on the CR module if you can isolate the issue to the CR module (like you're not having intermittancies on the master 2 or 4 trk outs). I had a bunch of weird problemsw dropping one side until I changed the alt ctr relay...

MCI JH528c
Cave Diver
MCI Member

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »

Thanks, very useful to know.  The master 2 trk outs are fine.  You describe my problem exactly - weird one side dropping out stuff.

I'll get back under there. I'm quite familiar with the CR module board but forget exactly what we've (truth: they've) done to it over the past few stabs at sorting the problem out. I know we've bypassed the monitor quad outs in an attempt to simplify everything. I thought the CR module relays were checked over each time, might be wrong though.  It's all been complicated by the fact that until recently I had other Monitor Level pot issues too, so you end up chasing your tail a bit.
dreamer7th
MCI Member

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »

Hi Folks,

Almost 2 years have passed since I left a message on this so special forum.

At the time, I was looking after a MCI to buy and refurb. Thanks to Damir (I thank you so much guy!), the things happened.
He put me in contact with Tony, a guy from Florida who went in Denmark and from now on based in Germany. In november 2012, I went to Germany to close the deal with Tony and take back the board with me in France (I live near from Lyon).

It's a JH-528B. Serial N 089 / 22 march 1978.

When I went to Germany, I was very surprised by its global cosmetic condition. Even if he was neither engineer nor technician, Tony was loving this board and he took good care of it, that's for sure.
All the documents and schematics were there, in their original ring binders.
Because of that condition, and because it was a good deal (in my opinion), I didn't turned on the board before buying it.
I removed all the channels, the plasma meter bridge, the wood, the legs... I very carefully packed everything in several layers of manilla paper, kraft paper and sealed packages with plastic film and silicagel small bags inside each of them. I went back to Lyon and put it in storage at a good temperature.
Why in storage? Because I was buying a house to restore at the same time. So, I did that to keep away from temptation to work on it! ;-)

But fortunately, time has passed, and after having almost finished my house restoration work, it's time to begin the servicing of this lovely desk to bring it back to life.
Everything is unpacked and stored in the workshop I specially built in my house to work in good condition on it.

I would like to thank you all, you guys are the key for a correct end efficient restoration.
Without you, nothing would be the same...

I will put some pics of the board later...and for sure I will need your so precious advices during the servicing!

All the best,
Fred

JH-528B in restoring progress...
Rocco
MCI Member

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2014, 03:12:45 AM »

Hey guys, I'm new here, seems like a good place to be. I work at an artist's studio in Burbank, CA. It's been private for almost 20 years and we're opening it to the public. We're taking delivery this week of a 528B from Nola Recording in NYC. It has a couple cool modifications and has been maintained by Coley.

Here's the listing: http://soniccircus.com/MCI-528-Analog-Recording-Console-Vintage

I'm gonna take pics and some video and will post online here.

-Rocco
mongobigmuff
MCI Member

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm new the forum, I've been lurking for some time and now that I have My MCI's I'll start to ask a lot of questions  Smiley

I see that this is a very knowledeable place and I hope to get a lot of information from the gurus here.

I have an MCI "combo" (a desk + tape machines) that need a lot of work, are missing parts and have been neglected for years and years (not by me)

I'm very happy to make my first post and I hope to be an active member of the forum.

Thank you very much in advance!

Andy AKA Mongobigmuff
brianroth
MCI Master
MCI Freak!

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2014, 03:00:13 AM »

Hello Andy....where are you "calling from"?

Bri

Professional audio and video systems design/construction/service/common sense.

Now based in Salina, Kansas

http://www.BrianRoth.com
mongobigmuff
MCI Member

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

Hello Andy....where are you "calling from"?

Bri

Well, it's kinda difficult, I'm from Mexico City (where my MCI gear is right now) but I wanna start a studio with a bandmate in Toronto, Canada and bring my gear up there (I lived in Toronto in 2013)  while I'm working in Paris, France Tongue  Cheesy

There was a time in Mexico (as in every other country) when you could buy amazing gear for reasonable prices. That time is gone.

A+
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:28:43 PM by mongobigmuff » Logged
Tristan.Miller
MCI Member

I Fix Stuff

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2014, 11:27:58 PM »

Toronto's less than an hour from me...
Move your console here, so that we can have another one with-in an hours-drive of me! (4 that I know of already!)

Welcome to the Forum!

-Tristan
(Catherinenorth.com)
mongobigmuff
MCI Member

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2014, 06:43:01 AM »

Toronto's less than an hour from me...
Move your console here, so that we can have another one with-in an hours-drive of me! (4 that I know of already!)

Welcome to the Forum!

Hey Trsitan, Thanks!

Do you happen to know NASSAU 6 in Kensinton Market? they have a really nice MCI Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length